Wednesday, April 13, 2011

making the most of it...

My husband and I do not have a boat load of money. We are a single income family, as my husband completes his schooling, and we live with my grandma. We do however rarely feel pinched with money (although I am sure my husband would disagree) but even during difficult times, I find it rewarding to still help others.

We have been blessed with insanely supportive families. Not that they throw money at us, but they love us, and encourage us, and always provide us with the smiles and generosity that bring us emotional support! Of course our families help pick up tabs, or offer financial support if we really need it, but generally, we do just fine, and I think it is largely in part to our upbringings and families. I would say we live above our means, we have luxuries like cable and we go out to dinner. And we make it a point to help others who may not be as fortunate as us.

Both of our cats were adopted from shelter situations. Faith was a feral cat that was caught and tamed. When we first got her, she was very shy, but has since come around to be the biggest softie! All she ever wants to do is cuddle and paw the bed.

And Kea is an 11 or 12 or 13 year old white cat that we got a few months back. She has a gimp leg and was one day away from being put down at animal control. We took her in, vetted her, found that she has a brighter outlook then we imagined and she too has become such a ray of sunshine in or house.

Since adopting Faith, we have donated money to the foundation we got her through. We even sponsored the spay of a kitty this past January. We send boxes of treats and cat food and catnip.

But don’t worry, it is not just the furry friends we help out! We purge our clothes often and donate to clothes closets whenever we realize we have too much crap! Chaz loves putting change in any bucket he finds sitting out helping this cause or that cause. I like to work United way and volunteer events at work, and Chaz is always asking D. Lo what he can do to make her life easier. He has cleaned her garage and her storage room and put up shelves around her house. Those things count! That’s helping another individual!

I don’t spread this message to show you what we do so that you can be proud of us and shower us with compliments. I don’t want that. I don’t need that. That is not what fuels my volunteering. I just put it out there to encourage you to find something you are passionate about and really help out. I can bet that everyone in this world, even the wealthiest of people, could use help in some way. Help comes in a variety of ways, whether it be financial, emotional, or physical. It will make you feel better and it will certainly make someone else feel better!

No comments: