Sunday, January 9, 2011

WW unraveled...

I am not an expert on Weight Watchers, in fact, sometimes I feel completely lost. I am, however, loving the new WW program and maybe my love of this new "eating adventure" will rub off on you. So after hearing from some of my readers that they would like some more tips, how could I refuse! Of course this blog will not be a food blog, it is my lifestyle blog, so I will not always talk about food but occasionally I will include my tips for success!

So first, here is my history.

I have done weight watchers in the past. As a sophomore in high school I lost 30-40 pounds and as a freshman in college I lost 20-30. I never went to meetings, just used books and tracking sheets I got from my mom. My first year of work I signed up for a program at work but was laid off and therefore got a refund. While I gave up in the past, I always had in the back of my mind what foods were good and what foods were bad and never really took up eating candy bars and doughnuts, but I lost complete and utter understanding of portion size. I was eating backed chips, but certainly not stopping after 10 chips! Alas, I am back at step one, only this time, I do have some history to help me out!

I started this new program the day after Christmas. The first week I lost 7 pounds, however when I started, that really wonderful monthly gift us ladies get was stopping by for a visit. This second week, I lost a more "normal" 2 pounds. That brings my current total to 9 pounds! Wow, that looks great on paper!

And now for why I am so fricken in love with this new WW plan.

First, with the old plan, an apple was 1-2 points, and a bowl of cereal was 2-3, so usually, to have something more tasty, we would chose the cereal. Now with the new WW plan, we get more points, but cereal has gone up to 3-4 points. HOWEVER, all fruits and vegetables are 0 points so you can make an awesome decision and grab a zero point food now! And I like to think of the fact that I am giving my body something natural and easy to digest! How could that not be better for weight loss! I would suggest however, even though fruit is 0 points, that you don't go crazy and eat 20 apples and bananas along with your allotted amount of points....i don't see that being too beneficial!

Where 0 point fruits and veggies come in handy:
  • Stopping at a gas station on a trip, grab an apple
  • At the airport, find some bananas or veggies
  • At a picnic, load that plate with veggies...with all the points you are saving, indulge in some dip!
  • Buffet? Find those veggies!

But I know that this is not the most fun food...I promise I will get into some of that below!

Second, ww.com has so many recipes and foods! You can find a recipe for almost any food you like. Since being on my "food adventure", I have had stroganoff, meatloaf, cookies, and other nummy treats! There really are a lot of resources you just have to take the time to play around! Additionally, you can edit recipes, so if you would never add ricotta cheese to your recipe, you can omit it!

And now for some tips:

~light vanilla ice cream (my fave is Edy's double churn) is 3 points...many flavors are! (coffee is also a fave!). So here is what I would do with this nummy treat!

  1. 1/2 cup light vanilla ice cream with diet root beer makes one heck of a root beer float
  2. 1/2 cup light ice cream for 3 points, 1 tbsp. light peanut butter for 2 points, and one banana for 0 points! A five point filling treat
  3. 1/2 cup light ice cream and your favorite fruit! Strawberries are great! You can even mash them to make a sauce!
  4. 1/2 cup light ice cream for 3 points, one mini brownie for 2 points, wonderful 5 point dessert

~Pillsbury mini Brownies are 4 points for 2...these brownies are very good and they come with their own portion control pan in the box!

~light string cheese is 1 point. Reduced fat cheddar or Colby cheese is 1 point.

~Sara Lee delightful bread is 2 points for 2 slices! They also have hot dog and hamburger buns!

~Sugar free jello is 0 points and most sugar free puddings are 2 (the Boston cream pie pudding is nummy!)

~Multi grain Cheerios, Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Corn Flakes are all 3 points for 1 cup!

~Carrots with light ranch (light ranch is 2 points for 2 table spoons)

~WW soup was a big staple with the old diet and that remains the same with this diet so if you have a good WW soup recipe you used to make, keep making it!

~Annie's organic honey bunnies is three points for 30

~I love 94% healthy popcorn and air popped popcorn...I have a Nordic Ware Bowl with lid that actually makes popcorn in the microwave with no oil...you can find at a local Target or online!

~To make your popcorn a treat, add flavored powder in the popcorn aisle including butter, white cheddar and nacho Cheddar for 0 points.

~1/2 Cup mashed potatoes is 3 points

Side note: I am not a fan of fat free anything so I generally will not include that in my blog. My body needs that natural fat and I do better ensuring I lose weight when I include this fat. Everyone has a different experience however and of course, fat free anything is less points!

No comments: