Sunday, April 29, 2012

First 10k done!

The race on Saturday went very well!  It was cold and rainy, but I pulled of a good time and hey, I finished!

I spent Friday night at my friend LeeAnn's house.  We had some pasta and spent the night relaxing.  We got up the next morning and my mom grabbed us at 7:15 am.

The race was ridiculously well organized.  There were shuttles from the VA Hospital to Minnehaha Falls since there is very little parking at the falls...only time this sucked was waiting in the cold rain pot race to get back on the bus...that line was a little too long.

On the way there however, the lines were short and the buses were rolling through at a consistent pace.

We got to the park and headed straight for the bathrooms.  Then enjoyed some coffee, some stretching, and another bathroom break before heading to the starting line...I loved getting there early and having time to settle in.

The race started and I felt pretty good.  With so many people, the race was slow to get started but I loved that!  It helped me remember to set my own pace and fall into a comfortable groove to ensure I finish.

Around a mile and a half, I started to get a side ache.  Instead of running through, I decided to nip that baby in the butt.  I stopped, did some quick stretching, and made the stop worth while by removing my jacket which was getting a little too warm for comfort.

I stopped a second time at mile three to grab some water, and stretch my calf which was starting to feel tight.  The next three miles went pretty smoothly.  I did have to walk a few times, mostly for my calf, but one time out of pure exhaustion.  I had started my way up this stupid hill and just decided that this hill was meant to be walked.

Mile four was probably my favorite mile.  I have no clue why but the music on my I-pod was rocking, and I was feeling great!  I just had this shit faced grin on my face.  Best feeling ever.

I wish I could have hit the finish with that face but for some reason, right as I was coming into the finish line, I was hit with a waive of nausea.   I straight up think it was nerves.   I did so well at focusing on my pace, and how my body was feeling, but once again, I let me nerves get to me.  I am an anxious person, but that's a bit too much!  So a goal for my next race will be to just be relaxed!  Running is such a mind game and I continue to learn new things all the time!

Even with that little hiccup, I ran the race, I finished in 1 hour and 16 minutes (hell yes!), and I am proud of myself!

A huge thanks to LeeAnn for the idea to sign up!  You are such a motivating and great friend.  My mutti for being an inspiration and for running the race with us!  My hubby for starting the trek to the finish line but not making it there in time because I am a rockstar runner!  lol (You can't blame him since it took me forever and 20 years to finish my half marathon last year!)  I have the best husband in the world and all I ever get from him is motivation and praise...It's mind boggling how supportive he is!  All my peeps who shared the love on Facebook!  And of course the French Meadow who prepared my post race feast!  I am so blessed to have such amazing rockstars in my life.

No comments: