Friday, January 6, 2012

Homemade Buttercream Frosting (Warning to all trying to eat healthy, you may not want to read this!)

Tonight we had a going away party for Kory. On Sunday, she will be heading to grad school! I decided to plan a family dinner yesterday, which meant I didn't have much time to put it together.

I stopped last night to grab groceries, and decided to make cupcakes in her school colors for dessert. With lack of time, I grabbed a box cake mix and a jar of frosting. Not my favorite thing to do but it works in a pinch. I baked the cupcakes last night, and they turned out great! I separated the cake into three bowls, added food coloring to both, then layered them on top of one another inside a cupcake liner...the colors did not blend! Very cute! Today I kept thinking of the frosting and couldn't get myself to love the idea of using a jar of frosting. I just don't think it tastes good.

I decided to find a recipe I had seen on a blog I read a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I think this is some of the best homemade buttercream frosting! So good! And actually really easy! I used half vanilla, half almond extract, and I did not need to add any additional powdered sugar like the author did. Try it out! You will not be disappointed, and you will not have settled for a jar of meh frosting.

No comments: