Monday, May 21, 2012

1 of 12....

Saturday was the first 5k is my goal to run 12 5K's in the next 12 months.  I ran the North Side Street Race 5k.  Let's just say it didn't go super well.  I finished in 37 minutes and some seconds.  It was a small race-not chipped or anything.  Just a clock at the end to let us know what time we came in at.  Even with that time, I still ran (and walked) about a 12 minute mile, but the race and I just did not mesh.

On a serious note, I have had three really stressful weeks at work.  I have not focused on running and have really let my nerves get the best of me.  I have dealt with anxiety in the past but have really made ridiculous strides to over come it.  The past 3 weeks however make me feel completely the opposite.  And so, I think that a breakfast that did not sit well, mixed with not running as much over the past few weeks, mixed with heat and humidity, and my recent ability to not control my anxiety, measured up to a bombed race.  I ran the first mile, and then had to walk a bit after feeling nauseous.  This lead to short stints of running followed by short stints of walking the rest of the way.  I just kind of lost my mojo and couldn't get it back.  They sure know what they are talking about when they say that a lot of running is mental. 

Yesterday it had cooled off due to a storm so I decided I needed a relaxing evening run.  I logged 1.6 miles, and in under a 12 minute/mile pace.  It felt good, and it really made me feel relaxed.  I just wish I could mimic this feeling in a race setting more often. 

I am still wavering as to whether or not I should run a 5k in Alaska...I am thinking I may just need a break and some true relaxation, and then I can come back and pick a different race for June.  We'll see!

No comments: