Sunday, January 13, 2013

Runners High...

I love running.  When winter hits, and the cold encroaches on us, I tend to run less, but the urge is still deep within.  The past two years, I have run a 5k around my birthday.  This year will be no different.  And thankfully, this little run usually gets me either outside braving the cold air, or inside at a gym, running on the gerbil mill.  I prefer to switch to classes and circuit training in the winter time but there comes a time when I just need to get back to it.

As I tend to run consistently in the summer, I generally don't lose all of my stamina during the winter months.  The past few years I have started back up by hitting the pavement for as long as I can.  This helps me gauge where I am at.  I don't push it, and I certainly don't continue on if there is any pain, but I just like to push the limit a bit and see what I can do.

Today I hit the gym and ran about 1.6 miles.  I started getting a side stitch, so I decided to switch to other activities at the gym, knowing full well that this won't be my last run of the week.

Since we are heading to Hawaii in two weeks (HELL YES!!!!), it will be nice to build some stamina so I can at least do a run or two in the warm weather!

It felt good to pound that pavement.  It's nice being back!

No comments: